Saturday 2 July 2011

My Introduction

Batik print is one of the traditional crafts of the Kutch region and is at least 125 years old. I am the 5th generation of craftsman in the Batik print tradition. I was born in 1981 and along with my studies until 10th standard I used to learn about Batik print from my family. Until 2005 my family was a joint family comprising 66 members and we all used to cook and have food in the same kitchen. In 2005 our family mutually agreed to divide and from one big family we became 10 separate families. Our family was not only divided by the number of family members but we also divided our business. My father and his 2 brothers became partners and started their own new Batik print unit.
I have always been interested in batik printing. The knowledge of this craft runs in my blood and thus, it was not difficult for me to learn batik. Without wasting much time I soon learned the techniques of printing, dyeing, wax removal and also carving the blocks.
When I read about the Kalaraksha Vidhyalaya design course in the newspaper I enrolled for the program. Through this course I have learnt many new things. Batik print is not very well known and people especially do not know that it is done in the Kutch region. Through this course I have learnt that good design will benefit me business wise. I also hope that with the experience I gained I will be able to pass on knowledge of this craft to others and help them rediscover batik. I also wish to make people aware of the fact that is one of our traditional Kutch crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment